- A female protector.More example sentences
- The virgin here is the protectress of those at sea, so another wall is filled with lots and lots of paintings of ships in distress, some being wrecked and some just being tossed about in terrible weather.
- The nymphs and their mastiff are quicker to spot the boys than, perhaps, the viewer of the picture; certainly more alert than their majestic protectress Diana, who is distracted by an archery contest.
- The key to the most profound meaning of the altarpiece may well be St Margaret of Antioch, the saint in red on the right, and the protectress of all pregnant women.
More definitions of protectressDefinition of protectress in:
- The US English dictionary