noun (plural prothalli /-lʌɪ, -liː/)Botany
- The gametophyte of ferns and related plants.More example sentences
- Here I re-examine the formation of the prothallus in a fern gametophyte in the context of a ‘whole-plant’ developmental response.
- More example sentences
- A consistent feature of every experiment that was undertaken in this study was that a sufficient quantity of white light was an absolute requirement for both prothallial and rhizoid development.
- The grain is empty because the body cell and prothallial nuclei have moved out along the pollen tube towards the archegonia.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from pro-2 'before, earlier' + Greek thallos 'green shoot'.
More definitions of prothallusDefinition of prothallus in:
- The US English dictionary