noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A protein present in blood plasma which is converted into active thrombin during coagulation.More example sentences
- Contact with tissue factor triggers the coagulation cascade, resulting in the conversion of prothrombin to active thrombin.
- This complex activates prothrombin to thrombin in the presence of calcium ions.
- Years ago we said fibrinogen (a soluble protein) becomes a clot of insoluble fibrin by the action of thrombin made from soluble prothrombin in the presence of calcium.
More definitions of prothrombinDefinition of prothrombin in:
- The US English dictionary