A kingdom or large grouping that is either synonymous with the Protista or equivalent to the Protista together with their multicellular descendants.
- This section covers almost exclusively single-celled forms, i.e. the Protista or Protoctista.
- He says there are twenty or more kingdoms hidden in the Protoctista gloss.
- Example sentences
- Most nations of the world do not have complete inventories of their flora and fauna, let alone their fungi, protoctists, and prokaryotes (microorganisms).
- In recent years, eukaryotes have been broken down into four kingdoms: animals, plants, fungi, and protists or protoctists.
- Those who study protoctists, nucleated microorganisms and their immediate descendants exclusive of animals, plants and fungi, are disenfranchised.
Modern Latin (plural), based on Greek prōtos 'first'.
Definition of Protoctista in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.