Definition of protogynous in English:
adjectiveBotany & Zoology
(Of a hermaphrodite flower or animal) having the female reproductive organs come to maturity before the male. The opposite of protandrous.
- The pistillate flower of the cyathium develops before the male ones; thus each cyathium is functionally a protogynous hermaphrodite ‘flower’.
- Female wrasses are called protogynous hermaphrodites, which means they can change sex to become males should there be a need, such as when a dominant male is eaten, dies, or is chased away.
- Flowers of this species are protogynous, visited by a good variety of insects, and capable of both self-and cross-fertilization.
- Example sentences
- However, the form of dichogamy (protogyny and protandry) is likely to have different consequences for autogamy versus geitonogamy.
- Protandry (and the less frequent, opposite pattern called protogyny) may occur for different reasons in different taxa.
- At the extreme, true prolificacy leads to protogyny whereas normal maize shows protandry.
Definition of protogynous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan