- Overall, atoms are neutral and the number of protons in their nuclei equals the number of electrons.
- The matter was composed primarily of an ionized gas of electrons, protons, and helium nuclei.
- An alpha particle consists of two protons and two neutrons; it is the nucleus of a helium atom.
The mass of the proton is 1,836 times greater than that of the electron. The atoms of each chemical element have a characteristic number of protons in the nucleus; this is known as the atomic number. The common isotope of hydrogen has a nucleus consisting of a single proton
1920s: from Greek, neuter of prōtos 'first'.
- More example sentences
- The organic purity of the organoarsenic species was determined by protonic nuclear magnetic resonance.
- The rate of the former, productive reaction is determined by the protonic conductance of the consumer.
- It consists of an interdependence between the electronic and protonic captures, which results from electrostatic interactions between redox and protonatable groups.
More definitions of protonDefinition of proton in:
- The US English dictionary