verb[with object] Chemistry
Transfer a proton to (a molecule, group, or atom) which forms a coordinate bond to the proton: (as adjective protonated) the acid environment favours conversion of these anions to their protonated uncharged form
More example sentences
- In the second basic photocycle step, the chromophore is protonated and structural changes take place in the protein.
- All aspartic acid and glutamic acid residues as well as C-terminal groups were deprotonated; arginine, lysine, and N-terminal groups were protonated.
- We postulate that this pathway is blocked when both groups are protonated (state A) or deprotonated (state C).
- Example sentences
- This reaction is initiated by the electrophilic protonation of isobutylene.
- These reactions, some of which are run on a large scale in the petroleum industry, are initiated by the protonation of saturated hydrocarbons.
- The protonation of amino acid side chains was supposed to cause the reorganization of the native state into the so-called A-state.
Definition of protonate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.