noun (plural proventriculi)Zoology
- 1The narrow glandular first region of a bird’s stomach between the crop and the gizzard.More example sentences
- The proventriculus and gizzard are small, and the lower esophagus is sacculated, which delays passage of particles into the lower gut where additional fermentation occurs in the paired ceca.
- Ingesta from the proventriculus and gizzard were preserved in 75% alcohol and examined under a dissecting scope.
- Parents sustain themselves during incubation on energy stored as body fat and lipid-rich stomach oil in the proventriculus.
- 1.1The thick-walled muscular expansion of the oesophagus above the stomach of crustaceans and insects.More example sentences
- Enhanced levels of expression are seen in older embryos adjacent to the segmental involutions (C, arrowheads) and in the salivary glands, proventriculus, and somatic musculature.
- Four tunnels off the lumen of the proventriculus of the carpenter bee, Xylocopa virginica virginica, have been discovered.
- The proventriculus of the worker honeybee is an organ which effects a highly efficient separation of pollen grains from the medium in which they are suspended.
mid 19th century: from pro-2 'before' + Latin ventriculus 'small belly', diminutive of venter, ventr- 'belly'.
More definitions of proventriculusDefinition of proventriculus in:
- The US English dictionary