Definition of provirus in English:
The genetic material of a virus as incorporated into, and able to replicate with, the genome of a host cell.
- HERV-W proviruses probably entered the genome of primates before the split between Old World and New World monkeys.
- Recombination requires the simultaneous infection of a cell with two different proviruses, allowing the encapsulation of one RNA transcript from each provirus into a heterozygous virion.
- Once integrated with the host's genetic material, the DNA version of the retroviral RNA is called a provirus.
- Example sentences
- Identification of clonal proviral insertions by oncogenic retroviruses has led to the isolation of novel tumor-associated genes.
- It is generally admitted that these Human Endogenous RetroViruses derive originally from rare events of germ-line infections by exogenous retroviruses leading to proviral DNA integration.
- To identify expressed sequences, 16 kb of genomic DNA flanking the proviral integration site was sequenced and compared to genetic databases.
Definition of provirus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan