Definition of provirus in English:
The genetic material of a virus as incorporated into, and able to replicate with, the genome of a host cell.
- HERV-W proviruses probably entered the genome of primates before the split between Old World and New World monkeys.
- Recombination requires the simultaneous infection of a cell with two different proviruses, allowing the encapsulation of one RNA transcript from each provirus into a heterozygous virion.
- Once integrated with the host's genetic material, the DNA version of the retroviral RNA is called a provirus.
- Example sentences
- Identification of clonal proviral insertions by oncogenic retroviruses has led to the isolation of novel tumor-associated genes.
- It is generally admitted that these Human Endogenous RetroViruses derive originally from rare events of germ-line infections by exogenous retroviruses leading to proviral DNA integration.
- To identify expressed sequences, 16 kb of genomic DNA flanking the proviral integration site was sequenced and compared to genetic databases.
Definition of provirus in:
- US English dictionary