- A tree or shrub of a large genus that includes many varieties grown for their spring blossom (cherry and almond) or for their fruit (plum, peach, and apricot).
More example sentences
- Genus Prunus, family Rosaceae
- Commonly called plum, Prunus mume - the floral symbol of winter - is actually the flowering apricot.
- So, instead, we drove to Taunton, through the bright sunshine, along hedged roads running between folded hills, with black-thorn bearing bright white star-flowers, and wild cherry and prunus in full bloom against an endless blue sky.
- In the autumn, these insects migrate to members of the prunus family, such as plum and blackthorn, so attacks can be prevented by not planting these or related trees and shrubs near the pond.
modern Latin, from Latin, literally 'plum tree'.
More definitions of prunusDefinition of prunus in:
- The US English dictionary