- technical term for false fruit.More example sentences
- The strawberry fruit crop is of great economic importance worldwide and its edible part is a false fruit originating mainly from the expansion of the flower base or pseudocarp where the real fruits are attached.
- In this paper, strawberry ‘fruit’ is referred to as the receptacle (pseudocarp) including the seeds (achenes).
- Strawberries are pseudocarps or false fruit as the seeds are on the outside and the fleshy red fruit part is the receptacle which is not usually a large part of the fruit. Apples and pears are also pseudocarps.
mid 19th century: from pseudo- 'false' + Greek karpos 'fruit'.
More definitions of pseudocarpDefinition of pseudocarp in:
- The US English dictionary