noun[mass noun] Palaeontology
- The apparent extinction of a group of organisms of which modified descendant forms survive.More example sentences
- The nature of mass extinctions in particular has been distorted by a combination of post-extinction sampling bias and associated pseudoextinction of paraphyletic groups.
- For the purpose of calculating community similarity, species that are part of possible phyletic sequences were synonymized to correct for pseudoextinction.
- The subsequent extinction of the family may be a pseudoextinction, because the Palaeoxanthopsidae may have given rise to many of the extant lineages comprising the Xanthoidea.
More definitions of pseudoextinctionDefinition of pseudoextinction in:
- The US English dictionary