- A contagious disease of birds, caused by chlamydiae and transmissible (especially from parrots) to human beings as a form of pneumonia.More example sentences
- One species, C. psittaci, causes psittacosis (so-called parrot fever), a respiratory infection transmitted from birds to people.
- C. psittaci causes a rare disease called psittacosis (also known as ornithosis).
- Though some birds with psittacosis don't display any signs or symptoms, others lose feathers or change their eating habits.
late 19th century: from Latin psittacus 'parrot' + -osis.
More definitions of psittacosisDefinition of psittacosis in:
- The US English dictionary