Definition of Psocoptera in English:
An order of insects that comprises the booklice and other psocids.
- The Hemiptera (bugs, cicadas, whiteflies, aphids, etc.), the Thysanoptera, the Psocoptera (psocids, book lice, and bark lice), and the Phthiraptera form the hemipteroid assemblage.
- The hemipteroid assemblage has four orders of insects: Hemiptera (bugs, cicadas, whiteflies, aphids, etc.), Phthiraptera, Psocoptera (psocids, book lice, and bark lice), and Thysanoptera (thrips).
- For the other two hemipteroid orders, Thysanoptera and Psocoptera, only partial mtDNA sequences are available.
- psocopteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Comparisons between fully characterized mt genomes of a range of hemipterans, thrips, psocopterans, and lice should provide further insight into the mechanisms of gene rearrangement in animal mt genomes.
- The hemipteroid assemblage (bugs, thrips, psocopterans, and lice) is particularly interesting because it is thought to be the sister group of the Endopterygota.
- Based on the close relationship of thrips to the lophioneurid psocopteroids, it is likely that the Triassic and Jurassic thrips were saprophagous, just as the psocopterans and merothripids are today.
Modern Latin (plural), from Psocus (genus name) + pteron 'wing'.
Definition of Psocoptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.