- The study and treatment of mental illness, emotional disturbance, and abnormal behaviour.More example sentences
- Treatment of psychiatry is not altering the biochemistry of the brain, it's also healing the soul.
- In modern psychiatry ECT and psychosurgery are used in a much more discriminate and refined manner.
- The Jungian approach to treatment is, again, very different from conventional psychiatry.
mid 19th century: from Greek psukhē 'soul, mind' + iatreia 'healing' (from iatros 'healer').
More definitions of psychiatryDefinition of psychiatry in:
- The US English dictionary