Definition of psycholinguistics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The study of the relationships between linguistic behaviour and psychological processes, including the process of language acquisition.
- There are few, too few, working linguists who have a good command of the various subdisciplines of the field, such as psycholinguistics, historical linguistics, theory of grammar, etc.
- His research interests include developmental psycholinguistics, psychology of language, and developmental psychology.
- Miller, an APA president in 1969, has been an innovator in the study of language and cognition, helping to establish psycholinguistics as an independent field of research in psychology.
- Example sentences
- I described a controversy among psycholinguists about where linguistic quasiregularity comes from, and Mark took me to task for leaving out some key points.
- More important, there might be some real value in modeling the relative frequency across contexts of substitutions of this sort, just as psycholinguists have learned a lot from modeling corpora of speech errors such as spoonerisms.
- I wonder if any psycholinguists have gotten involved in quantifying the degree to which particular names are ‘likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake’.
- Example sentences
- Adequate understanding of linguistic, psycholinguistic, and sociolinguistic factors was considered essential in developing a coherent heritage language education policy.
- A psycholinguistic model of vocabulary acquisition in a second language in instructional settings is outlined in this paper.
- Worse still, there is no conceivable theoretical justification for the ‘levels’ presented, and none has any meaningful connection with linguistic and psycholinguistic research on language development.
Definition of psycholinguistics in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India