The period during which adolescents reach sexual maturity and become capable of reproduction: the onset of puberty a particularly traumatic puberty
More example sentences
- Now the gymnasts for instance have been shown to have delayed menarche and also delayed puberty.
- Some children grow slightly more slowly than others and reach puberty later than average.
- During puberty or nearing menopause, many women have irregular periods so no treatment is necessary.
adolescence, pubescence, sexual maturity, growing up;
youth, young adulthood, teenage years, teens, the awkward age
- Example sentences
- The glands remain immature until puberty, and it is the secretion of sebum that is associated with pubertal acne.
- Body image issues related to height, weight, pubertal stage, and scarring can contribute to reduced self esteem and negative self image, problems that may persist into adult life.
- Long-term treatment with these medications can also slow a child's growth and delay pubertal maturation.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pu|berty
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.