- The state of belonging or being available to the public as a whole, especially through not being subject to copyright or other legal restrictions: we only access information available in the public domain the case came into the public domain [as modifier]: public domain softwareMore example sentences
- This legislation would strengthen the public domain without burdening copyright owners.
- Otherwise, the work dropped into the public domain well before the copyright term would have elapsed.
- But then, just as Wells's work was about to enter the public domain, the British copyright period was extended to 70 years after the author's death.
More definitions of public domainDefinition of public domain in:
- The US English dictionary