- The work of building such things as roads, schools, and hospitals, carried out by the state for the community: [as modifier]: public works projectsMore example sentences
- Work on sewers, roads and other public works accounted for some of the more expensive costs.
- But his main concern was increased expenditure on road infrastructure and public works.
- Libraries, county offices, public works and hospitals were shut down in rotating order.
More definitions of public worksDefinition of public works in:
- The US English dictionary