Definition of publicist in English:
1A person responsible for publicizing a product, person, or company.
- Stephanie is part of a team of publicists, producers, coaches and managers who look after Tabby's frantic schedule, choreograph his songs and generally keep him on the path to fame.
- His publicists have produced a film showing the veteran politician without the turban, sitting for a haircut, and watching football.
- All the models are there, all the hair and makeup backstage, all the publicists, all the producers.
2 dated A journalist, especially one concerned with current affairs.
- He was the government's publicist, writing pamphlets, verses and periodicals which were instrumental in discrediting the Whigs.
- He is a tireless publicist who has authored many books, articles, prefaces and pamphlets.
3 archaic A writer or other person skilled in international law.
- In addition, the aforementioned provisions of the Versailles Treaty were harshly criticized by some eminent publicists, among them the Italian leading jurist and politician V. E. Orlando.
- There is not much difference in this respect between the treatises of the early publicists and those of modern writers.
- Numerous publicists advocated a national celebration before the first anniversary of 1813 and hence between 17 and 19 October 1814, festivities took place in hundreds of cities.
- Example sentences
- Your journalist has not shown even an elementary measure of good publicistic practice or press ethics.
- Publicistic essays were extremely popular at those times when journalism in European countries reached the point when newspapers finally became periodic.
- The article itself is not a program of action, and even is not a publicistic work, but a certain political literary performance.
Late 18th century: from French publiciste, from Latin (jus) publicum 'public (law)'.
Words that rhyme with publicistsolipsist
Definition of publicist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.