A North American plant which yields a pigment from which dye or medicinal products were formerly obtained.
- ● A yellow-flowered plant with slender leaves (genus Lithospermum, family Boraginaceae). ● (red puccoon) another term for bloodroot (sense 1)
More example sentences
- Plants here include prairie rose, nodding onion, gray-headed coneflower, butterfly weed, green milkweed, hoary puccoon, and even eastern prickly pear cactus.
- Walk through the prairie's first showing of pussytoes, puccoon, and bird's foot violets, walk through the tick-ridden grasses, walk through the wild phlox and unfurling ferns of maidenhair.
- My first visit was in early May, when the ground was covered with delicately beautiful sand love grass, punctuated by bright yellow clusters of hoary puccoon and golden Alexander.
early 17th century: from Algonquian poughkone.
Definition of puccoon in:
- The US English dictionary