1A deep round bowl used for mixing and cooking steamed puddings.
- Line a pudding basin or individual ramekins with cling-film, and then line the mould with the soaked bread, ensuring there are no gaps.
- Line your pudding basin with slices of bread (white is best, I hate to say!) from which the crusts have been removed.
- Beat the egg with the syrup and milk, mix thoroughly, put in a greased pudding basin and steam for three hours.
1.1 [as modifier] Denoting a hairstyle produced or seemingly produced by inverting a pudding basin on a person’s head and cutting away all the hair that sticks out under it: a pudding-basin haircut
More example sentences
- The physical makeover has replaced her pudding-basin haircut with soft layers and highlights, and her make-up is now professionally applied.
- The Deputy Prime Minister, sporting what looked like a recent pudding-basin haircut in honour of the Budget, looked on approvingly in his role as the Prime Minister's new best mate.
- Even her unfashionable pudding-basin bob has been transformed by Udo Walz, one of the country's best-known hairdressers.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pud|ding basin
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.