- 1A large, sluggish, mainly nocturnal African viper which inflates the upper part of its body and hisses loudly when under threat.
More example sentences
- Bitis arietans, family Viperidae
- I once organised the rescue of a small girl who had been bitten by a puff adder.
- I was once on the way to the car and a puff adder reared up in front of me.
- And hiding in over 50 varieties of grasses, are snakes: among them the deadly rinkhals and puff adders.
More definitions of puff adderDefinition of puff adder in:
- The US English dictionary