(also puff-back shrike)
- A small black-and-white African shrike, the male of which displays by puffing up the feathers of the lower back.
More example sentences
- Genus Dryoscopus, family Laniidae: several species
- Fruit bats are particularly fond of the figs and even some insectivorous birds such as the Puffback shrike reportedly take the fruit.
- The puffbacks are not hard to see most species forage in open the canopies of bushes or short trees, often with mixed species flocks but they are named from the loose feathers on the male's rump and lower back.
More definitions of puffbackDefinition of puffback in:
- The US English dictionary