Definition of puffball in English:
1A fungus that produces a spherical or pear-shaped fruiting body which ruptures when ripe to release a cloud of spores.
- Families Lycoperdaceae, class Gasteromycetes, in particular genus Lycoperdon.
- This class contains the mushrooms, shelf fungi, puffballs, and a variety of other macrofungi.
- Any fungus of obviously non-mushroom shape, such as the puffball, morel, or truffle, is usually referred to under its own name; but the general remarks on mushrooms here refer to these equally.
- The fungal kingdom consists of macroscopic fungi (mushrooms, puffballs, and gills) vs. microscopic fungi (yeasts and hyphae).
2A short full skirt gathered around the hemline to produce a soft puffy shape: [as modifier]: she chose a multicolour puffball creation for her wedding
More example sentences
- Her Quaker-inspired picnic clothing is casual and fun with puffball hemlines, ruched details and delicate embroidery all in bright shades of orange and light yellow.
- Her fashion range is, by her own admission, ‘very girly’ - puffball skirts, brightly coloured dresses and printed tops that are made from a combination of vintage and new fabrics.
- Gail agreed with the remainder of the fashion faux pas top ten, saving her most withering comments for shell suits and puffballs.
Definition of puffball in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan