1A fungus that produces a spherical or pear-shaped fruiting body which ruptures when ripe to release a cloud of spores.
- Families Lycoperdaceae, class Gasteromycetes, in particular genus Lycoperdon. See also giant puffball
- This class contains the mushrooms, shelf fungi, puffballs, and a variety of other macrofungi.
- Any fungus of obviously non-mushroom shape, such as the puffball, morel, or truffle, is usually referred to under its own name; but the general remarks on mushrooms here refer to these equally.
- The fungal kingdom consists of macroscopic fungi (mushrooms, puffballs, and gills) vs. microscopic fungi (yeasts and hyphae).
2A short full skirt gathered around the hemline to produce a soft puffy shape: [as modifier]: she chose a multicolour puffball creation for her wedding
More example sentences
- Her Quaker-inspired picnic clothing is casual and fun with puffball hemlines, ruched details and delicate embroidery all in bright shades of orange and light yellow.
- Her fashion range is, by her own admission, ‘very girly’ - puffball skirts, brightly coloured dresses and printed tops that are made from a combination of vintage and new fabrics.
- Gail agreed with the remainder of the fashion faux pas top ten, saving her most withering comments for shell suits and puffballs.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: puff|ball
Definition of puffball in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.