noundated or humorous
A boxer, especially a professional one.
More example sentences
- Remember that if he wasn't playing football, Hall would be a professional pugilist and probably a bloody good one given that he can knock a player down, even when he didn't mean to throw the punch!
- When Sonny did embark on a comeback he went to Europe and reeled off a series of wins against some non-threatening pugilists.
- We were nine USA Olympic Champion pugilists competing in the 1960 Rome Olympic Games.
mid 18th century: from Latin pugil 'boxer' + -ist.
- More example sentences
- Buried in his pugilistic proclamation - in which he also declared war on ‘nonviolent civil disobedience’ - was a curious invitation.
- Her continued efforts at world pugilistic dominance recommence on Jan.16 in championships in Pointe Claire, where she'll be battling again to maintain her ranking.
- Political infighting rarely comes to real fisticuffs, but the Scottish Tories at their Dundee conference this weekend were clearly being inspired by pugilistic events going on at Hampden.