Definition of pugilist in English:
noundated or humorous
A boxer, especially a professional one.
- Remember that if he wasn't playing football, Hall would be a professional pugilist and probably a bloody good one given that he can knock a player down, even when he didn't mean to throw the punch!
- When Sonny did embark on a comeback he went to Europe and reeled off a series of wins against some non-threatening pugilists.
- We were nine USA Olympic Champion pugilists competing in the 1960 Rome Olympic Games.
- Example sentences
- Buried in his pugilistic proclamation - in which he also declared war on ‘nonviolent civil disobedience’ - was a curious invitation.
- Her continued efforts at world pugilistic dominance recommence on Jan.16 in championships in Pointe Claire, where she'll be battling again to maintain her ranking.
- Political infighting rarely comes to real fisticuffs, but the Scottish Tories at their Dundee conference this weekend were clearly being inspired by pugilistic events going on at Hampden.
Words that rhyme with pugilistnihilist • homilist
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan