1ˈpwiːsɒ̃s (Puissance) A competitive test of a horse’s ability to jump large obstacles in showjumping: nine horses contested last night’s Puissance [as modifier]: a Puissance horse
More example sentences
- This was done in one of the Puissance competitions.
- Harry, riding XL, and Conor were two of six riders to share second place in Saturday's Puissance.
- Samsung and Fáilte Ireland, the principal sponsors, are this year joined by Land Rover Ireland which adds its name to the Puissance (high wall) competition.
2 archaic or literary Great power, influence, or prowess.
- All three sections begin powerfully and carry that puissance - and often it's not a force that we nor the narrator can control - throughout the section.
- A combination of apparently unlimited electoral puissance and an underlying lack of both intellectual self-confidence and political principle has destabilised him.
- But their puissance cannot conceal their incurable inferiority.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: puis|sance
Definition of puissance in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.