Definition of puissance in English:
1 /also ˈpwiːsɒ̃s/ (Puissance) A competitive test of a horse’s ability to jump large obstacles in showjumping: nine horses contested last night’s Puissance [as modifier]: a Puissance horse
More example sentences
- This was done in one of the Puissance competitions.
- Harry, riding XL, and Conor were two of six riders to share second place in Saturday's Puissance.
- Samsung and Fáilte Ireland, the principal sponsors, are this year joined by Land Rover Ireland which adds its name to the Puissance (high wall) competition.
2 archaic or literary Great power, influence, or prowess.
- All three sections begin powerfully and carry that puissance - and often it's not a force that we nor the narrator can control - throughout the section.
- A combination of apparently unlimited electoral puissance and an underlying lack of both intellectual self-confidence and political principle has destabilised him.
- But their puissance cannot conceal their incurable inferiority.
Definition of puissance in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia