- A young hen, especially one less than one year old.More example sentences
- After about 10 weeks you can start feeding pullets (young hens) about 10 percent scratch grain (a mix of small grain and cracked corn) and 90 percent mash to lower the total protein a bit.
- Although some references explain its etymology as being from old French hutaudeau, meaning a pullet (a young hen), the derivation was in fact hétoudeau or hétourdeau which was a capon (a fattened cock fowl).
- There are two main ways to acquire laying hens: as day-old chicks or as started pullets.
late Middle English: from Old French poulet, diminutive of poule, from the feminine of Latin pullus 'chicken, young animal'.
More definitions of pulletDefinition of pullet in:
- The US English dictionary