noun (plural pulvini /-nʌɪ/)Botany
- An enlarged section at the base of a leaf stalk in some plants, which is subject to changes of rigidity leading to movements of the leaf or leaflet.More example sentences
- Leaves move by means of turgor pressure changes at the pulvinus at the base of each lamina.
- Soluble proteins were extracted from gravistimulated pulvini and subjected to protein phosphorylation reactions.
- The ion flux occurs within seconds after gravistimulation and establishes pH gradients across roots and maize pulvini.
mid 19th century: from Latin, literally 'cushion'.
More definitions of pulvinusDefinition of pulvinus in:
- The US English dictionary