- A large American wild cat with a plain tawny to greyish coat, found from Canada to Patagonia. Also called cougar, panther, and mountain lion in North America.
More example sentences
- Felis concolor, family Felidae
- But a new survey suggests that the country may now be home to wild leopards, pumas, and other big cats.
- Long-term studies of solitary cats such as tigers, pumas, leopards, cheetahs and lynx have shown that male cubs usually leave the area where they were born and wander in search of a territory.
- Cougar, puma, mountain lion, catamount, panther - by any name, this big cat has inspired wilderness lovers across the country.
late 18th century: via Spanish from Quechua.
More definitions of pumaDefinition of puma in:
- The US English dictionary