Definition of pumice in English:
1A very light and porous volcanic rock formed when a gas-rich froth of glassy lava solidifies rapidly.
- Coarser fractions additionally contain volcanic clasts of vesicular and porphyritic lava, tuff and pumice.
- These range from skarns resulting from proximity to felsic intrusive igneous activity to altered limestone volcanic ejecta associated with pumice and other pyroclastic materials.
- After that the abuse rained down continually upon the hapless Mr O'Brien, like rocks and pumice from a spluttering volcano.
1.1 (also pumice stone) [count noun] A piece of pumice used as an abrasive, especially for removing hard skin.
- Use foot file instead of hard pumice stone to remove dead skin which can lead to painful skin irritation.
- This is an ideal opportunity to check your feet for any dry skin; it will be easily removed with a normal pumice stone you can purchase from the chemist.
- ‘If you use a pumice stone to remove calluses, do so gently and just enough to flake off the dead skin,’ Rosenthal warns.
verb[with object] Back to top
Rub with pumice to smooth or clean.
- By ignoring that, you come up with something prettied up, pumiced, and packaged.
- If they're calloused, does she pumice them and slather them in lotion to make them soft and resilient again?
- Shave your legs (if your mom lets you), and pumice the soles of your feet really well, too.
- Example sentences
- Pumiceous peperite is associated with a rhyolitic sill that intruded wet, unconsolidated, submarine stratified pumice breccia in the Cambrian Mount Read Volcanics, Australia.
- Pumiceous pyroclastic products are present as flows and falls at several stages of the evolution of the southern Guadeloupe volcanic island.
Words that rhyme with pumicepomace
Definition of pumice in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan