- Dark, dense German bread made from coarsely ground wholemeal rye.More example sentences
- The numerous kinds ranged in colour and solidity from the deep brown and dense German pumpernickel and the common Russian black bread, to the paler and lighter breads of Poland and Sweden.
- Before he passed away a few years ago, he gave me his hoard of recipes, including authentic New York cheesecake, bagels, rye, pumpernickel, challah, cole slaw and many others.
- Use slices on pumpernickel or granary bread with horseradish, on crostini or in salads.
mid 18th century: transferred use of German Pumpernickel 'lout, bumpkin', of unknown ultimate origin.
More definitions of pumpernickelDefinition of pumpernickel in:
- The US English dictionary