Definition of pumpkin in English:
1A large rounded orange-yellow fruit with a thick rind, the flesh of which can be used in sweet or savoury dishes.
- Sweet potatoes, beans, pumpkins, and tropical fruits such as bananas and papayas are also grown.
- The average small farmer in Chiapas, Mexico, for example, produces maize, squash, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, numerous vegetables, fruits and medicinal plants.
- While there isn't any cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie to be had, there is plenty of brandy, gin, and wine on hand.
2The plant of the gourd family which produces pumpkins, having tendrils and large lobed leaves and native to warm regions of America.
- Genus Cucurbita, family Cucurbitaceae: several species, in particular C. pepo
- Sometimes pumpkins or gourds are planted instead of squash.
- Both sides of this versatile trellis are used, and it can be made sturdy enough to support heavy crops such as gourds and pumpkins.
- When the Irish immigrants arrived in America, they found pumpkins abundant and much easier to carve than turnips.
Words that rhyme with pumpkinbumpkin
Definition of pumpkin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.