Definition of punchbag in English:
1A stuffed cylindrical bag suspended so it can be punched for exercise or training, especially by boxers.
- I do some aerobics stuff and use the punchbag for some boxing training.
- When he was answered in the affirmative, he immediately became impressed as he danced around the ring and whamming suspended punchbags with that famous right hand.
- They stock every conceivable type of ball, as well as darts, boxing gloves, punchbags, headguards, snooker cues, goggles, running spikes and karate suits.
1.1A person on whom another person vents their anger: all I would be was a punchbag for his escaping fury
More example sentences
- He also showed he could still take a punch, and he needed to for eight rounds as Lewis' size and skill advantage reduced him to a walking punchbag.
- Ariel Sharon has become the punchbag of the anti-war movement - the easy target ‘mass murderer’ who everybody loves to hate.
- That was always the unfortunate lot of the bottom-of-the-bill punchbags and dinner-club fighters - someone had to die to get famous.
Definition of punchbag in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan