Definition of punchy in English:
adjective (punchier, punchiest)
1Having an immediate impact; forceful: his style is journalistic, with short punchy sentences
More example sentences
- Whatever it is, if the dancers move like Forsythe's punchy, direct sentences, this will be fantastic.
- The sound is a great mono presentation, quite dynamic, with punchy sound effects and good, clear dialogue.
- In my resultant article I actually compared Montreal to an afternoon soap opera - a punchy, passionate, sentimental place full of ridiculous arguments and beautiful women.
forceful, incisive, strong, powerful, vigorous, vivacious, zestful, animated, dynamic, enthusiastic, effective, impressive, striking, telling, influential, cogent, compelling, convincing, persuasive, eloquent, dramatic, passionate, graphic, vivid, moving, potent, authoritative, great, forcible, aggressive, irresistible, effectual
North American informal badass
- punchily adverb
- Example sentences
- By this he was trying to say that its convenient format allows readers to pick it up and idly flick through one of the nine the punchily written sections.
- The New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman puts it punchily: ‘I support united Europe because I think two United States are better than one.’
- Quidam started punchily with Zoe's father and mother being hoisted up by a wire before the proceedings were unraveled with stunning effect.
- punchiness noun
- Example sentences
- But the rather coy hopping between engaging, raw-chord punchiness with its electric hard-boppish theme and tempo changes that dilute the impact is mildly irritating.
- Hebden is a student of drum science now, and many of these tracks have a surprising punchiness.
- The crackling punchiness of ‘The Score’ demonstrates their astounding talent through piercing, uplifting harmonies and a brash rhythm section that's both raw and powerfully hard-hitting.
Words that rhyme with punchybunchy, crunchy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.