Definition of punctuation in English:
1The marks, such as full stop, comma, and brackets, used in writing to separate sentences and their elements and to clarify meaning: you will notice that no punctuation is used satisfactory standards of handwriting, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
More example sentences
- I've never liked putting closing punctuation inside quotation marks.
- However, the reverse is not true: if a spoken text is written down, the position of many tone-group boundaries cannot be marked by punctuation.
- The comma thing does make me aware how much I use punctuation in general and commas specifically for intonation in my writing.
- punctuational adjective
- Example sentences
- How private worry about hyphens or apostrophes will so often turn a person into a punctuational avenging marauder, a ruthless grammatical Genghis Khan.
- Please do not print this letter in your magazine. I do not wish for my, how you say, inelegant grammar, odd punctuational choices, and inadequate vocabulary to be snickered at by your discerning readership.
- If lineages can be found, that is evidence for gradualistic evolution; if lineages cannot be found, then that is evidence for punctuational evolution. ‘Heads we win; tails you lose’!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.