noun (plural Punjabis)
1A native or inhabitant of Punjab.
- Even racial and ethnic subgroups divide along rigid lines - as with Sikhs or Hindus or Punjabis among the large Indian American community, or by class or immigrant status.
- Significantly, half of the one lakh Indians here are Punjabis, comprising 35,000 Sikhs.
- In spite of their common cultural heritage, Punjabis are now either Indians or Pakistanis by nationality.
2 [mass noun] The Indic language of Punjab, spoken by over 92 million people.
- The charity has staff who can speak various languages including Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Gujarati and Chinese.
- Pupil Rida Munir, six, yesterday proudly told of how she could speak three languages, Punjabi, Urdu and English.
- An additional 439,239 people reported speaking other Indic languages, such as Punjabi, Bengali and Malayalam.
3 (punjabi) A long kurta (loose collarless shirt).
- The better-educated wear a collarless, tunic-length shirt known as a punjabi and pyjamas (loose cotton trousers).
- Village men usually go shirtless but on occasion may put on a vest or a long shirt called a punjabi as an upper garment.
- In India this is generally not acceptable as jeans are too tight; women must wear the traditional sari or salwaar kameeze / punjabi suit.
Relating to Punjab or its people or language.
- The Glasgow Gender Clinic has specifically targeted its marketing at Scottish Asians with ads in the Punjabi language paper Des Prades promising couples an 80% chance of having a son.
- A University of British Columbia instructor is embarking on an ambitious campaign to elevate the status of the Punjabi language within Canada.
- She has now been able to introduce the Punjabi language from Class V onwards as part of the curriculum in Lahore Grammar School.
Words that rhyme with PunjabiAbu Dhabi, Babi, Darby, derby, kohlrabi, Mugabe, Wahhabi
Definition of Punjabi in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.