1 informal, chiefly British A person who gambles, places a bet, or makes a risky investment.
- The Isle of Man now allows US punters to gamble in online casinos based on the island, the NY Times reports.
- The internet is a major gambling hall for punters where they play poker bingo cards whatever; gamblers even get to play lotto online.
- This means that the average punter's investments will do worse than the average performance of the market over any given time frame.
gambler, backer, staker, speculator;
North American bettor
North American informal high roller
Australian/New Zealand informal spieler
1.1A customer or client, especially a member of an audience.
- Roux then grandstands and takes off his team blazer and tie and puts it up for auction - apparently at the request of a punter in the audience.
- The spa is open only to residents, so there's no sharing your thermal dunks with pay-and-play punters or ‘club members’.
- Once upon a year not that long ago, a young man sat in a pub telling a wide-eyed audience of punters all about his skiing holiday.
customer, client, patron;
buyer, purchaser, shopper, consumer, user, visitor, guest;
member of the audience/crowd;
(punters) clientele, patronage, audience, following, trade, business, market
British informal bums on seats
1.2A prostitute’s client.
- The law could be changed to make more severe punishment for ‘illegal’ street prostitutes and their punters.
- It would take prostitution off the streets and into a safer environment for both the prostitutes and the punters.
- Police believe the killer was probably a punter and had used prostitutes in the area before.
customer, client, kerb-crawler
informal john, trick, score
2 American Football & Rugby A player who punts.
- You run timed drills in a specific task like punting or run stopping where you only get to control the relevant player like the punter or middle linebacker.
- He played quarterback, strong safety, punter and placekicker at North Central High School in Kiln, Missisippi, for his father, Irvin.
- In Bengals history, there have been some effective players named Johnson, including punter Lee and running back Pete.
Words that rhyme with punterArunta, Bunter, chunter, Grantha, grunter, Gunter, hunter, junta, shunter
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: punt¦er
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.