noun (plural same or pupfishes)
- A small fish found in fresh or brackish water in the deserts of the south-western US and northern Mexico.
More example sentences
- Genus Cyprinodon, family Cyprinodontidae: several species
- Most radically, we have extended protection to every endangered species, even the lowliest and most unprepossessing-the Furbish lousewort, the snail darter, the desert pupfish, the spotted owl.
- The small springs that harbor small populations of native pupfishes and other small fishes.
- In southern Arizona, an endangered fish, the Quitobaquito pupfish (Cyprinodon macularius eremus), inhabits the springs, stream, and pond at Quitobaquito on Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.
More definitions of pupfishDefinition of pupfish in:
- The US English dictionary