Definition of purlieu in English:
noun (plural purlieus or purlieux)
1 (purlieus) The area near or surrounding a place: the photogenic purlieus of Cambridge
More example sentences
- For further evidence, tour the purlieus of your state Capitol, contrasting the vulgar ostentation on the marbled side of the street with the squalid reality on the living side.
- The National Art Collections Fund has mounted an exhibition, impressive even in the drab purlieus of the Hayward Gallery, of some of the most notable works it has helped to retain in Great Britain during the past hundred years.
- One of the more enjoyable moments of a Scottish Cup final is that hour or so before kick-off when you take a gentle stroll around the purlieus of Hampden Park.
1.1A person’s usual haunts.
- It was the purlieu of Rob Roy MacGregor, whose exploits can be seen at the Visitor Centre in Callander.
- This process has actively been promoted by the Party, with its cult of Cool Britannia importing the likes of pop stars into 10 Downing Street, formerly the purlieu of Oxford dons and distinguished artists.
Words that rhyme with purlieucurfew • purview
Definition of purlieu in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan