- An elaborate or excessively ornate passage in a literary composition.More example sentences
- Although both narrators are prone to purple passages, the texture of Singer's Gothic prose remains one of the novel's strengths.
- On the rare occasions he gets it wrong, Paddy has been responsible for some of the most highly coloured purple passages in travel literature.
- This is hardly surprising, in view of the multiple tragedies that assailed Vierne at the time of composition, which, as detailed in the admirable notes, read like the more purple passages of the Book of Job.
More definitions of purple passageDefinition of purple passage in:
- The US English dictionary