- Have a subduing or inhibiting effect on: he put a damper on her youthful excitementMore example sentences
- A droopy stock market and the dot-com crash that began nearly two years ago put a damper on the high end at a time when many were trying to cash in on the real-estate boom.
- Quit worrying, you're putting a damper on the day.
- Well, okay, bad weather can put a damper on any vacation (pardon the pun).
More definitions of put a damper onDefinition of put a damper on in:
- The US English dictionary