Definition of putamen in English:
noun (plural putamina /-ˈteɪmɪnə/ or putamens)Anatomy
The outer part of the lentiform nucleus of the brain.
- Immediately above the anterior perforated substance, the pear-shaped head of the caudate nucleus is confluent with the putamen of the lentiform nucleus.
- The term corpus striatum refers to the caudate, putamen, and globus pallidus.
- The irregular empty spaces between the putamen and the caudate nucleus were occupied by fiber bundles of the internal capsule.
late 19th century: from Latin, literally 'shell remaining after pruning'.
- Example sentences
- Hypertensive putaminal hemorrhage remains a major cause of hemorrhagic stroke carrying extremely high morbidity.
- A CT scan done at time of admission revealed a left putaminal hemorrhage.
Definition of putamen in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia