- The process of decay or rotting in a body or other organic matter: the breeze shifted and we caught the stench of putrefactionMore example sentences
- The air was stuffy and there was an unbearable stench of blood and putrefaction.
- As soon as a gap to the underlying chamber was opened, the unmistakable stench associated with putrefaction became terribly evident.
- Is this then the end of the long march of human civilisation, this spiritual suicide, this quiet putrefaction of the soul into matter?
late Middle English: from Old French, or from late Latin putrefactio(n-), from putrefacere 'make rotten' (see putrefy).
More definitions of putrefactionDefinition of putrefaction in:
- The US English dictionary