Definition of putsch in English:
A violent attempt to overthrow a government; a coup.
- In Caracas, the elected president is a Castroite who earlier attempted a beer-hall putsch and is busily immiserating his middle class.
- Whether this would be achieved by popular uprising or a putsch by a few well placed individuals with Western backing has yet to be seen.
- Not a few thought that the Herut might mount a putsch.
- Example sentences
- This deprived the putschists of a constitutional fig-leaf to cover their seizure of power.
- Before Owen there were millennarians and utopians, prophets and putschists.
- The putschists wasted no time in sending aerial-amphibian troops to Estonia to reinforce the Soviet army forces garrisoned there.
Early 20th century: from Swiss German, literally 'thrust, blow'.
Words that rhyme with putschbutch
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.