- 1A long strip of cloth wound spirally round the leg from ankle to knee for protection and support.More example sentences
- Anand's protagonist, Bakha, wants to wear trousers, breeches, coat, puttees and boots.
- Michael Barber says that puttees were replaced by anklets in 1939.
- The period saw the transition of British Army uniform from red wool serge coats to khaki cotton, and gaiters were replaced by puttees.
late 19th century: from Hindi paṭṭī 'band, bandage'.
More definitions of putteeDefinition of puttee in:
- The US English dictionary