noun (plural pygidia /pʌɪˈdʒɪdɪə, pʌɪˈgɪdɪə/)Zoology
- The terminal part or hind segment of the body in certain invertebrates.More example sentences
- The pygidium, like the cephalon, was a structure in which segments were fused together.
- A pygidium with an attached thoracic segment represents a meraspid stage of the species.
- By contrast, some representatives of the Olenelloidea have pygidia with multiple segments.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek pugē 'rump'.
More definitions of pygidiumDefinition of pygidium in:
- The US English dictionary