Definition of pyjamas in English:
1A loose-fitting jacket and trousers for sleeping in: a pair of pyjamas (as modifier pyjama) pyjama trousers
More example sentences
- Slowly he undid his pyjama jacket and dropped his pyjama trousers down around his ankles.
- Other highlights include PVC dresses, lace dresses, gold pyjama trousers and chiffon tops.
- He said that he had not dressed properly but had been wearing slippers, trousers, a vest and pyjama jacket about the house.
1.1A pair of loose trousers tied by a drawstring around the waist, worn by both sexes in some Asian countries.
- Both men and women also wear a kurta, a long tunic-like shirt, and pyjamas, loose baggy trousers.
- A draw-string allowed the pyjamas to comfortably embrace a great girth, and also to drop at a moments notice.
- Variants of trousers like pajamas and shalwar were worn in the northern plains of Indo-Iran.
- pyjamaed (US pajamaed) adjective
- Example sentences
- Sometimes you wake and see them stumbling sleepily towards you, eyes hardly open, pyjamaed arms held out in front to guide them.
- He stood now surveying his pyjamaed and unshaven self with extreme disfavour.
- When I was out for an early walk this morning I noticed a pyjamaed man trying to retrieve the paper that had landed high in a bush and it made me recall the joy of having paperboys many years ago.
Definition of pyjamas in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.