1A tall tower-like structure used for carrying electricity cables high above the ground.
- A spokeswoman said: ‘The owl is perched on one of our high voltage electricity pylons.’
- Bandits and looters continue to bring down pylons carrying high voltage cables out in the desert road.
- Concerns are also growing over the pylons needed to carry electricity from remote parts of the Highlands and the Borders.
1.1A tower or post marking a path for light aircraft, cars, or other vehicles, especially in racing.
- The room had already been lit by moveable light pylons, a leftover from when Wily had first set up operations there.
- Swing left here and follow the path under pylons with the wall on the left.
- Flickering to life, a small light shone from the pylon's centre as the Head Lorekeeper heard a familiar voice in her mind.
2A pillar-like structure on the wing of an aircraft used for carrying an engine, weapon, fuel tank, or other load.
- The answer to the problem was to hang immense fuel tanks from underwing pylons.
- Each wing carries four stores pylons: three outboard and one inboard of the wheel fairing.
- External fuel tanks can be carried on the pylons under the wings and jettisoned if necessary.
3A monumental gateway to an ancient Egyptian temple formed by two truncated pyramidal towers.
- But only the next morning could we fathom the magnificence of the temple with its huge pylons and obelisks.
- Both stand guard over a giant pylon of the mortuary temple of Amenophis the Third.
- But as she walked between the huge pylons of the temple, Miri's soul shrivelled inside her.
4North American A plastic cone used to mark areas of roads.
- Ata was quick to jump over the edge and grab the cone pylon in her mouth.
- The driver died after flying over a bump in the road and hitting a pylon which collapsed on to spectators.
- There are a handful of environments to race in, with various tracks - marked by arrows and pylons - to conquer.
Mid 19th century: from Greek pulōn, from pulē 'gate'.
Words that rhyme with pylonupsilon
Definition of pylon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.