noun[mass noun] Chemistry
Decomposition brought about by high temperatures: steam pyrolysis of hydrocarbons [as modifier]: a pyrolysis furnace
More example sentences
- The rate of both reactions increased at higher temperatures of pyrolysis.
- NeoPhotonics specializes in a laser-reactive deposition technique, similar in some ways to flame pyrolysis.
- Rock eval pyrolysis permits evaluation of this observation.
- Example sentences
- In 1969 a new allotropic form of carbon was produced during the sublimation of pyrolytic graphite at low pressures.
- This type of joint is constructed out of durable pyrolytic carbon and graphite, making it strong and wear resistant.
- In addition, possible toxicological implications of these constituents and their pyrolytic products are explored.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pyr|oly¦sis
Definition of pyrolysis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.